We sat in Carraba's eating pasta and seafood. The conversation was pleasant. He asked about Fortress. I asked about his weekend trip that he took to "figure things out". I was preparing myself for him to tell me he wanted to come back home and try to work this out. My concern was that I would say no, not yet, you haven't made any changes - and that THAT would be dishonoring to God. But I think I knew deep down that he was already gone. I just didn't think the man I once knew would walk away so easily.
And because of what?? It's nothing I've done. Have I been the perfect wife? No. I have a mouth on me. It's my first line of defense against Darren. No one else has taken a lashing like he has. I admit that and I've repented of it. But I loved him. UNCONDITIONALLY. He is a hard, hard man to love. He's selfish, condescending, lazy, unmotivated, and prideful. He could list as many things about me that are hard to love. Can't we all? But those are the "for worses". For better or for worse. You love each other anyway.
He's leaving because he has convinced himself that he never loved me. Everyone who knows us and has ever known us knows that's not true. But it's true for Darren. He has to believe it to allow himself to leave.
He's leaving because he has convinced himself that he deserves passion. He defines his perfect passionate mate as someone who understands him and appreciates him and loves him, and someone who he understands and appreciates and can love. I said, "I used to be that for you." He replied tersely, "You were never that for me."
I asked him if there's someone else. He said no. I said, "Is there someone else you're interested in?" He said, "Hmmm.........no." I asked what that pause was supposed to mean. "Are you waiting to be free so you can pursue someone?" He said, "There are lots of people I could feel passionate toward. I deserve to be happy."
"I deserve to be loved," I said.
"Yes, you do," he answered. "And that's part of why I'm leaving you. I can't love you. I see lots of men who are attracted to you. I'm just not one of them."
I sat in the restaurant and begged God for words. None came. Well, they did. Lots of words came, but they weren't from God. So I finally said, "I don't have anything good to say, so I'm going to leave now." I gathered my purse and my confidence, and walked graciously out of the restaurant, past the window where he sat, to my car, around the corner, and then I let it go. I wept all the way home.
Twenty-one years.
Over.
I want to hate him, but I can't. I love him. And that pisses me off most of all.
God is good. He makes sure that we remember He has NOT forgotten about us. That He is there, hears every prayer. I am always amazed at how He uses verses, songs, the words of others, to speak to our deepest needs at just the right moment.
ReplyDeleteJust for the record...Darren's pursuit of happiness will be his undoing. He's going to find just the opposite. Like I told someone else who is knowingly disobeying God recently...if you are God's child and you are being rebellious, you are GOING to suffer His discipline. And the consequences are never fun. So much for "happiness."
My heart aches. I have no words. Just love for you Stacy.
ReplyDelete