Sunday, February 26, 2012

coffee and other things

I love coffee. I really, really, really love it. I like it so much that I often prefer it black rather than doctored up with cream and sugar. I love the aroma and the taste of it and the way a hot mug feels in the palms of my hands. I love the way the warmth trickles down my esophagus and warms me from the inside out.

I also love concerts. Before I was married, I spent all my extra money (and a lot of my rent money, ahem) on concert tickets. I saw a lot of the greats, including Pink Floyd, Journey, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Bob Dylan, the Beach Boys, Elton John, Eric Clapton, U2... and on and on.

I gave both of those things up when I married Darren. He detests the smell of coffee. There are lots of people who don't like the taste but still appreciate the smell. But not Darren. He detests the smell. For that reason, I never make it at home, and I don't order it when we're out. It was a sacrifice I was happy to make because I love him, but it WAS a sacrifice. Once, in New Orleans, he accompanied me to the famed Cafe Du Monde and encouraged me to order the chicory coffee. That, I thought, was true love.

He also dislikes concerts, because they come with crowds and noise, and he doesn't like either of those things. I've really missed concerts. A lot. Once, he surprised me with tickets to see one of my favorites, the Steve Miller Band, and he accompanied me. That, I thought, was true love as well.

I just spent the last hour reading my other blog. I searched for his name and read all the entries that had ever mentioned him. There is a lot of love there, from him to me, and from me to him. It reminded me that there were happy times. Lots and lots and lots of happy times. It still shocks me that he claims not to remember a single high point in our marriage. What a crock of you-know-what. It's good to remember, though. I'm glad I read through that. You can too, if you're so inclined.

I'm going to two concerts in the coming months. Terri's taking me to see Casting Crowns in Austin, and Dani bought tickets for us to see Coldplay (BE STILL MY HEART!!) in June. I don't have to make those sacrifices anymore. I think I'll go buy a coffee maker and brew some coffee. Because I can.



1 comment:

  1. Casting Crowns puts on an awesome concert. Very worshipful and not so concerty. It's nice.

    ReplyDelete