Friday, February 17, 2012

Valentine's Day

So the kids kidnapped me. Turns out, the boys were in on it, too. They sent me roses (on VALENTINE'S DAY! Oh the agony of knowing how much they spent on V-day roses!) at work, gave me books, a heart-shaped tin of truffles, and took me out for a night on the town. It was delicious in every way.

The books they chose are toddler-style board books. Aidan picked "The Runaway Bunny", my all-time favorite. It's about this little kid bunny who tests his Mom at every turn to make her prove her love for him, and she has an answer for every test. It's precious. Aidan wrote in the front of the book, "Mom, you'll always be mine. Love, Aidan"

Ian chose "Guess How Much I Love You". In the front of it, he wrote, "Mom, I hope your Valentine's Day is as great as Big But Brown Hare. Ian."

Downtown, we perused Barnes and Noble (Dani had given me a gift card), then grabbed a carriage ride which carried us around Sundance Square and dropped us off at PF Chang's. Reservations on Valentine's Day at P.F.Chang's!! I've never eaten there. Have ALWAYS wanted to. I love love love Chinese food, but Darren despises it. He can't even tolerate the smell, so we never set foot in Chinese restaurants. The boys hate it too, so the fact that they agreed to take me there was awesome. I was in heaven. (Turns out that Aidan DOES like good Chinese food. Thank you, Kung Pao Shrimp and Crispy Green Beans and Crab Wontons!)

It was such a fun night. We walked through downtown afterward and asked random people to take our photo. We took photos for random people. We saw our carriage again and took photos of the horse. We laughed and talked and thoroughly enjoyed one another's company. We didn't get home until after 10 on a school night and none of us cared. I felt absolutely free and loved and on top of the world. My kids are amazing people, all three of them. I cannot describe my pride and love and full-out adoration for them. I feel sorry for you that they're not your kids. For reals. :)


edited to add: As the boys were pulling me out the door, Darren stopped me and said, "I just want you to know that I helped Dani pay for this. It was all her idea, but it's not all coming out of her pocket. I knew you'd worry about the expense, but you don't need to."

That was very sweet of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment